///Pio's Living Room///

home /// archives

Thursday, August 28, 2003

A new poem.

Intensive Care

I walk among you,
the live in dread:
your lives ebbing and flowing
with each breath of those you love.

Unrecognised
behind my smiling clinician’s mask
I am one of you,
turning in sudden freefall
in an alien galaxy
the surety of your lives vanished
in a fatal moment,
a chain of flaws.

Isolated but bound by grief
ghostlike we wander
among monitors tracing our fates
in neat coloured lines,
the soft puff and gurgle
of blinking machines.

There are those who charge
Hope their lance against the odds
those who clothe their fear in smiles
those who endure the long days
their light still distant
those who come to grieve

I swim upward
in slowly widening circles
and below I see you,
the beginners,
start to swim.

Piokiwi 1:41 am

Comments:
<$BlogCommentBody$>
<$BlogCommentDeleteIcon$> (0) comments
Post a Comment


///This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?///